LewisGale Physicians – 3700 South Main Street
3700 South Main Street
Blacksburg, VA 24060
Phone: (540) 951-1111
Fax: (540) 953-5158
Hours: Varies by provider.
Providers at this location:
- Assess and treat medical conditions
- Seamlessly coordinate hospital care
- Review of progress with patient's primary or consulting care physician
- Establish a relationship with the patient and his or her family and maintain continuous communication with each
What is a Hospitalist?
A hospitalist is a physician who specializes in seeing and treating hospitalized patients.
In the same way that cardiologists specialize in the care of heart patients, hospitalists are physicians who specialize in the care of hospitalized patients. Many patients are being treated by this new kind of doctor - a doctor who isn't their family doctor, but who is responsible for their medical care during a hospital stay. They work as partners with patient's primary and consulting specialty physician to provide patients with the highest standard of care during their hospital stay.
What is a Hospitalist Program?
If your primary care physician utilizes Hospitalist Services and you need to be admitted to the hospital, you will be admitted by one of our hospitalist providers. They will manage and direct your care while you are a patient in the hospital. Our providers work closely as a team, so you may see more than one of them during your stay. They will be happy to answer questions for you and your family regarding your plan of care.
Our hospitalists will keep your primary care physician informed of your progress while you are in the hospital. The hospitalist is also available to you while you are in the hospital and will see you soon after you are admitted.
- A hospitalist does not replace the patient's referring physician.
- Throughout the patient's stay, the hospitalist provides regular updates to the patient's primary or consulting specialty physician. A hospitalist does not have a private practice. Once the patient is discharged, he or she returns to the primary care or consulting specialty physician for outpatient follow-up and treatment.
- Most hospitalists are internal medicine physicians
Each of our seven (7) hospitalists is certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine. Through extensive hospital experience, they have each gained the skills required to diagnose and treat very ill patients. This greater experience in caring for severely ill or injured patients is believed to lead to more reliable, confident, and accurate clinical decision making, which translates to better clinical outcomes, shorter hospital stays, and fewer re-admissions.